Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you train?

Hi all!!!

I can talk gear and gadgets as much as the next person, but I love talking about how we train between events!

Currently I'm a AAA shooter that regularly puts up AAA scores, and have kept a journal for a few years now and I find it helpful to guide my training time. A couple years ago I thought to take my training a bit more seriously. I read the chapter of Ways Of The Rifle by Heinz Reinkemeier regarding the standing position, broke it down into pieces, and completely rebuilt my position over the course of a few months. It was fun and enlightening. And last year I subscribed to Ginny Thrasher's Patreon site. For the price of a cheap six pack of beer every month there's a wealth of information in well-produced videos. My favorite video talks about training cycles and how to construct an effective training plan.

For the last couple of months I've been using her training cycle to prepare for the Conard Bernhardt Cup, with the goal to shoot 4 Master Class Scores.

So with that, what are some of everybody else's goals and how are you training to make them happen?

Enjoy!

Ben Haines

Almost forgot to add:

For my training outlines and daily/weekly session plans I keep a 8.5x11 spiral binder as a journal that focuses on: the plan for the day, definitive results (if SCATT or scored targets are used), and observations that stand out in my mind regarding my time spent.

However, when I attend a match I find that the CMP Advanced Shooting Journal is a convenient size and is $2 well spent. For each event it has headings: Plan, Did I Accomplish My Goal, What Went Well, What Needs Work, and Ideas for Future Events. There are also sections to mark sight settings, notes on shooting positions/changes, and score tracking.

Comment

How do I train? I don’t really train or at least I don’t really give it any thought. I show up to the club facilities put some spinners out there and use shoot at them. I am disappointed when I miss and happy when I hit them. I only shoot silhouette because it is fun to see them fall off the rail but I don’t really put much thought into it. I view silhouette shooting as a formalized version of plinking.
      I suppose I am not much help to the OP if they are looking for some sort of training tool.

Comment

In training I focus on Position, Breathing, Trigger Control and Follow-Through. I try to isolate one or the other but that's difficult since all of these have to work together. Typically I'll dry-fire five rounds and then live-fire five rounds. These four items are also my shooting "mantra" when in a match. Am I in position? Is my breathing good? Trigger control and then follow through. I really try to focus on Process and not Performance and it is making a positive difference. I train as consistently as I can time-wise and in frequency but its not always possible. A training session will typically last at least 50 rounds dry-fire and live-fire combined.

Comment

Working...
        X