Rimfire barrel cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rimfire barrel cleaning

This stemmed from a conversation at the monthly club match at Golden Triangle yesterday…

I have a new Lilja 4 groove tight bore barrel on my 1712. This is the 3rd Lilja barrel I have had and the second I have owned from new. It leads. (Or at least was, keep reading). We were talking about it and cleaning and the fact it was leading and another shooter mentioned that is the second person he’s heard of with the same problem.

It didn’t seem to effect accuracy but I have been cleaning it after every match or practice session and was getting way more lead flakes out of it then I have ever seen in any rimfire rifle I have owned.

There are basically 2 schools of thought with rimfire barrel maintenance and what ever works for you, do that. I clean mine.

This is the first time I didn’t get any appreciable flakes (hopefully it was a break in thing and is done doing it, or maybe because I was going to take pictures and post them). The second patch picture with 2 patches, the 2 white spots about 2 o’clock.

I push a dry patch to remove the loose stuff, then 2 wet (I like Kroil) and then 10 strokes with a saturated nylon brush. Then 2 dry, one more wet and then the last dry. You can see the last wet/dry are clean. Took picture of the leade and about halfway up the barrel.

This barrel has a little less than half a case down it and hopefully the lead flakes are done. If you have a factory barrel, depending on manufacture, you mileage may very…

Working...
X