How clean is your Centerfire barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How clean is your Centerfire barrel?

Had this conversation today at the range. Copper fouling is hard to get out, depending on the number of rounds it can form a copper/carbon lasagna. Some chemicals will do a good job on both at the same time. 2 of the best I have found are Wipe Out and Butches Bore Shine. Butches smells horrible and Wipe Out is like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube… I have had very good luck going after the carbon first then the copper with MPro 7 and Boretech CU2. Both are odorless, colorless and don’t completely tear up your skin.

(Apologize for bad pictures of a picture…)

First 2 pictures of bore (McGowen AR barrel, just happened to need to be cleaned) carbon and copper in the leade and about 6” up.

Wet patches of Mpro till bore wet, let sit a few minutes, then 5-10 stokes with bronze brush saturated in MPro then the first set of patches…. Wet bore again, let set a few minutes again and stroke and second set of patches…. Notice the last patch is fairly clean. Second set of pictures shows how much copper is left over. MPro is supposed to clean both, if you just looked at your patches and don’t have a bore scope (less than $100 and WELL WORTH IT) you’d think the barrel is fairly clean.

Run an alcohol patch and blow bore dry, wet it down with Boretech… Let set for a few minutes, stroke 10 times with a nylon brush and first set of blued patches…. Repeat and second set of blued patches that are fairly clear at the end.

3rd set of pictures show leade and 6” up afterwards. The light copper tinge in the 3rd set of pictures is just the poor quality picture of a picture, real life very stainless barrel looking. This is far as most people need to clean. You can’t be too clean but it is diminishing returns after this point.

Also note that when I am pushing patches after brushing the patches are lubed with the cleaner I am using.

Hope this helps or make you think about how you’re cleaning. FWIW, this is a “custom” barrel and much smoother than most “factory” barrels so the amount of cleaning you have to do will differ.

​​​​​​​

How many shots did it take to get that build up?

Comment

50-ish… this is a 6mm AR barrel. My HP rifle will be about the same with twice the number. This barrel quit coppering about the middle, my HP barrel after 100 or so will have copper all the way to the muzzle.

Comment

Love these maint. posts.

Comment

How do you clean your lever actions? Do you take the bolt, etc. out and clean from the breach end or do you clean from the crown end? I've read both, but not taking the rifle apart is a plus!

Comment

Barrel end.... crown protectors for rod.

Comment

Working...
            X