Bi-yearly maintenance (REM 700)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-yearly maintenance (REM 700)

Striker spring for a 700…. Same thing as the 54 action except most people shoot their 700 half or less then their smallbore rifle so…

You’ll need about $100 in tools to dissasymble the bolt and remove the spring. It also takes a little more “handiness” and finesse so it may be worth slipping your friend a $20 or gunsmith.

There are plenty of You Tube videos but the short run down, tool that releases the tension to unscrew the end cap. Tool that compresses the spring till the retaining pin is visible, tap pin out with small punch, unscrew everything taking care there will be a bit of tension left on the spring so don’t launch everything across the room.

Clean everything, inside bolt body too. Apply what ever lube you are going to use on the spring and internals (I use a light grease on everything).

Reassemble in reverse order noting that a new spring is going to take some compressing to get the tool threads engaged.

You’ll have to fight the pin hole and cocking piece to get them lined up to tap the pin back through. This bolt it’s slightly off center so they will only go together one way. If you have to do more then medium tap stop and try rotating the pin 180*.

Make sure and apply plenty of grease on the cocking ramp. There is a lot of pressure when you open the bolt and the ramp is cocking the pin. Also the back, sides and groove of the lugs need lube. If your sizing right and not over pressuring your rounds there shouldn’t be a lot of pressure on them but they do slide. The bold body can be dry because unlike a rimfire it doesn’t ride the receiver bore.

This is all for Garin and his spring experiments….

Last edited by Emmett Dibble; 01-29-2023, 11:19 AM.

Are you going to send me an actuator or make me buy my own??? I'll slip you $20...

Comment

Working...
    X