Smallbore Lever Sight Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallbore Lever Sight Settings

It's pretty known that for scoped smallbore sight setting for standard velocity ammo...depending on your rifle, barrel, etc. are close to:
    - Chicken = 0
    - Pig = 2.5ish MOA
    - Turkey = 4.5ish MOA
    - Ram = 9ish MOA

Is there a similar rule of thumb for lever action if you're using a Williams rear sight for number of revolutions or 'clicks?' I know sight radius plays a bit of a role, but was wondering? Standard vs. high velocity?
    - Chickens = 0 with standard velocyt
    - Pig = +15 clicks (0.75 turn)?
    - Turkey = +20 more clicks (+1 more full turn)?
    - Ram = +30 more clicks (+1.5 more full turns for a total of 3.25ish turns)?

I don’t have the “rule of thumb” answer but when I used a William's the clicks or revolutions seemed to get me in trouble. Sooner or later I lost track of where I was or needed to be. Then back to zero and the counting started over, about that time a butterfly or anything else on the planet would distract me and back to zero to start counting again. I found lining up a few lines much simpler and less likely for me to make a mistake. I did keep a record of clicks and revelations handy just in case my tape feel off. In the photo the sight is on the pig setting.
    Wayne Byers

Comment

JB, That is why I like using tang sights. Along with enhanced sight radius, my guns are right at 2 moa per revolution, with revolution having 8 clicks. Easy for my squirrel mind to keep up with.
      Kimbal

Comment

Originally posted by Panhandle View Post
        I don’t have the “rule of thumb” answer but when I used a William's the clicks or revolutions seemed to get me in trouble. Sooner or later I lost track of where I was or needed to be. Then back to zero and the counting started over, about that time a butterfly or anything else on the planet would distract me and back to zero to start counting again. I found lining up a few lines much simpler and less likely for me to make a mistake. I did keep a record of clicks and revelations handy just in case my tape feel off. In the photo the sight is on the pig setting.
        I'm the same way and it was driving me nuts...I use a paint pen on top of the dial and on the side have a dot where chickens are and where rams are so I don't get confused...for now.

My settings on my Marlin 39a Williams FP using SK rifle match are.... C: 0 P: 1/2 turn T: 1,25 turns, and R: 2.25 turns.
        Strelok Pro using CCI SV is C: 0 P:1/2 turn + 2 clicks T: 1.5 turns + 1 click R: 1.5 turns + 2 clicks

Hmmm maybe this is why I miss so much! I never have a spotter and I can't see the target when at the indoor range so I feel like I'm just guessing and it seems to work there, but on a steel target I can see I get different results. I think tonight or tomorrow I will try just shooting a paper plate instead of that white and red zeroing paper.

Comment

Went to the range today and shooting at a paper plate was 100x better. Glad I checked that ram setting before going to a match on Saturday...
          Setup for meters.
          C: 0
          P: 1/2 turn
          T: 1.25 turns
          Rams: 1.25 turns hitting about 2 inches high at 100 yards.

Comment

Well the match went ok and I hit the range again today....your settings were perfect for me.
            C: 0
            P: 3/4 turns
            T: 1 turn
            R: 1.5 turns

Comment

I recently switched from Williams rear sights to Redfield rear sights (SB and PC). The Redfield models are much easier to read and confirm settings. My typical settings for SB are
              40Yards = -1
              50Yards = 0
              75 Yards = 4
              100 Yards = 8.5

Those are nominal "MOA" measurements as expressed on the Redfield 75 elevation knob. They are not exact MOA due to the distance between rear sight and front sight not being the same as Redfield originally designed the sight for.

Steve.

Comment

Working...
              X