Air Rifle Questions at Coop shoot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Rifle Questions at Coop shoot.

I received this email on the way back from the Coop Shoot.
    I need the knowlege base of the real Air Rifle gurus to answer.

Video live streams are on the FB group and the NASSA youtube channel.
    https://youtube.com/@NASSAsilhouette

Question from Judd Durant.
    "Hey, before you leave...

After watching your stream I have some questions.
    1. A shooter, old timer, is using a FWB300. How did he mount his scope? Photos, story? I was looking at all the equipment and we do have a few FWB300.
    2. SuperAir2002. I saw one. All of these need a drooped scope mount to get to Rams. What or who is making them?
    3. Sporter. Are PCPs excluded from Sporter class? I sure hope so. But what do you see for Sporters?
    4. The youth...some have the Black Crossman stocked with a pressure gauge on side. Would that be a good way to get NH folks to get into the sport? They don't like the idea of spending $600 on an air rifle.
    5. Good close up of the targets..photo...video shows action but no detail.
    6. My focus is getting Air Rifle Target going in NH. But I need 5 people to get it going.

Thanks!

Jud

Jud,

Blogs The black stock guns were Crossman Challenger 2009s which was replaced last year by the Crossman Challenger CH2021. The 2021 is a PCP 177 caliber air rifle with a fully adjustable stock. It contains a 3000 psi reservoir with a set velocity of 580 fps. It’s very popular with our 4h youth for 3 position and silhouette air rifle. 4h only allows specific guns for competition.

It sells for around $650 w/front aperture and rear diopter sights.

Most of the kids top them with a vortex crossfire II 6-18 vbrite(dot reticle) for silhouette.

hope this help.

Comment

Per the NRA rule book no pcp air rifles are allowed in the sportier class except disposable Co2 cartridges.

3.3 Silhouette Air Rifle:
      (a) Target Air Rifle: Any unaltered factory target air rifle designed for U.S. and International 10 meter competition. (i.e., as produced or sold by Anschutz, Beeman, Crosman, Daisy, Feinwerkbau, RWS, Steyr and Walther). Use of scopes or iron sights, including diopter sights is allowed. Any older gun may be brought up to current fac- tory specifications using only factory catalogue barrel weights.
      (b) Sporter Air Rifle: Any unaltered factory sporter air rifle that is or was a catalogue item, readily available over the counter to the general public, weighing no more than 11 pounds, with a scope and mounts. Rifles utilizing pre-charged systems of any kind other than 12.0 gram disposable CO2 units are prohibited.

I’ll try to post a couple of pictures of the targets as soon as I can get them cleaned up from all of the paint build up from the match.
      Dewey

Comment

Hey Jud,

To help me answer your questions I’m going to just reply to them in the order you listed them:

1. The FWB 300 is maybe the easiest to scope target air rifle out there. Generally only needs a set of high dovetail (11mm) rings.

2. The Anschutz 2002s are another great gun and the easiest/safest way to get the elevation is to buy a set of FX No Limits rings again in the 11mm dovetail amount and set them up.

3. PCPs are excluded from the sporter class though I believe co2 canisters (disposable kind) are allowed.

4. The older Crosman Challengers CH2009s are a great entry level target gun and can be had used for under $500. Easy to rebuild but will require a “dropper mount” for the scope to get the elevation you’ll need.

5. Feel free to ask anyone of us what we’re using or even seeing used. No secrets in this game

6. Don’t wait until you have 5 interested. Start up a program and they’ll show up. Air rifle silhouette is a cheap, fun and easy way to get folks shooting. Feel free to ask for any help. The more air rifle silhouette the better

Matt

Comment

Bill Motl is using my old Feinwerkbau FWB 300SU at this match. The photo here is the set-up on my other FWB 300SU I use now. I use the original FWB 11mm riser that came with the rifle and Sports Match offset scope rings to push the scope forward as I tend to creep up on the stock. This original riser will only go so far forward as the dovetail groove cut into the receiver only goes this far. You can find other 11mm dovetail risers from various sources as well as offset scope rings such as BKL.

Comment

I shoot an FWB 300 (pre 300S) in target class. Before I got a scope I tried it out with the original sights..... no way that was going to ever be competitive.... could barely see the turkeys and rams... I used offset rings to clear the actionClick image for larger version

Name:	FWB300.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	319

Comment

Working...
            X