Barrel Vise / Vice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Vise / Vice

I occasionally need a barrel vise. If your reading this you probably suffer from gun vice’s as well so what’s one more. I’m not a gunsmith and don’t need one more than 0-2 times a year. I can’t speak to the Viper Vise under heavy shop use but for my needs it has served me well and is at the low end of the price spectrum for these tools. https://www.viperbenchrest.com/shop/p/barrel-vise. I use leather to pad the barrel and have good results without slipping or scratching the barrel.

Using a barrel nut system, head space gauges, barrel vise and action wrench folks without practical access to a lath or the know how to use one can change barrels at home. The cost of all the tools combined can be covered by about the same as it would cost for shipping of a couple barrels to and from a gun smith. This may not be for everyone but for those that like trying different cartridges it is a great option. Imagine your favorite silhouette rifle with 2-3 identical barrels set up for different cartridges. Like a TCU for the ranges or conditions where recoil isn’t needed, a popular 6mm for general service and maybe your favorite hunting weight and caliber for animals not made of steel. * remember cartridge head size, they must be the same to share the same bolt. My Remington has two bolts, one for .223 family and one for .308 family. Savage it’s as easy as changing the bolt head itself and they are relatively price friendly.
    Wayne Byers
Working...
X